Langley Senior Citizen Center will be open over this coming weekend as a cooling center because of predicted high temperatures in Monterey Park from this summer’s first heat storm.
Langley center will be open on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located at 400 W. Emerson Avenue in Monterey Park. Although not officially listed as “cooling centers” other city buildings will be open over the weekend as part of regular business hours.
The city Library at 318 S. Ramona Street is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon on Saturday’s and Sunday’s 1 to p.m. Many times, doors are open to city hall and recreation centers. For information contact the city Fire Department at (626) 307-122.
City officials said the National Weather Service is forecasting temperatures reach 90 degrees this weekend and escalate through next week potentially reaching as high as 98 degrees on Tuesday.
In response to the extreme high heat, the Monterey Park Fire Department urges everyone to be careful and take precautions to prevent dehydration, heat stroke, and other heat-related illnesses. Here are some safety and prevention tips:
• Drink more fluids, regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Warning: If your doctor generally limits the amount of fluid you drink or has you on water pills, ask your doctor how much you should drink while the weather is hot.
• Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar. Avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.
• Stay indoors and, if at all possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, go to Langley center, the shopping mall, or public library.
• Don’t forget your pets – they need water and shade too.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
• Never leave anyone or your pet in a closed, parked vehicle.
• Please visit and check on your family members, neighbors, and friends, especially if you know they don’t have air conditioning.
Many other “cooling centers” at county facilities will be open. Local cities of Alhambra, Montebello and Rosemead plan to have cooling center available extra hours.